‘We just had something go right over the top of us’: Cockpit audio from American Airlines flight reveals mystifying close encounter with ‘fast-moving cylindrical object’ over New Mexico at 36,000 feet
Here is the report from blogger Steve Douglass:
Today just after 1:00 PM CST the author of this blog recorded off a radio scanner an American Airlines passenger jet reporting an unidentified object that flew close and just over the aircraft.
At approximately 1:19 CST on the Albuquerque Center frequency of 127.850 MHz or 134.750 MHz (recording wasn’t frequency stamped) the pilot reported: “Do you have any targets up here? We just had something go right over the top of us – I hate to say this but it looked like a long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile type of thing – moving really fast right over the top of us.”
According to Flight 24 and Flight Aware AAL 2292 was over the northeast corner of New Mexico west of Clayton, New Mexico. No reply was monitored by Albuquerque Center because local (Amarillo) air traffic walked on top of it. AAL 2292 was near flight level 370 (37k) at the time of the report.
No significant military aircraft presence was noted on ADS-B logs.
The aircraft flew on to land in Phoenix, AZ.
- The encounter happened on Sunday as AA Flight 2292 passed over a remote stretch of northeast New Mexico, west of Des Monies, en-route to Phoenix
- The flight was travelling at around 460 miles per hour at 36,000 feet
- Blogger Steve Douglass said he intercepted a radio transmission from the flight in which the pilot can be heard reporting the encounter to air traffic control
- The pilot says the object was a ‘long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile’ and had passed over the top of the plane at speed
- The flight went on to land safely in Phoenix without any further incidents
- The state of New Mexico is no stranger to strange encounters, with the city of Roswell reporting one of the nation’s most infamous UFO sightings in 1947